Thursday, March 14, 2013

The New Atlanta Falcons

I sincerely apologize for not writing a post yesterday, friends. I had an anatomy midterm that I had to study for and while my school work is the number one priority for me, writing about what I love has become one of my passions. It hurts me to not do what I love to do, so I will try my hardest to write every single day.

I love baseball. My life revolves around it. But I have been thinking, and I have decide to expand my blog to cover two more sports. Football and basketball. I feel as if I have the knowledge to analyze football and basketball just as well enough to give educated insight. Although I have a larger knowledge of baseball, I hope that my insight into football and basketball will make my blog reach a larger audience. But, with these changes, my main focus will always be baseball. My passion will always be baseball, and I will not stray away from it even though I am starting to write about football and basketball. 

For my first post with the new sport topics, I would like to talk about how big of an impact  tight end,  Tony
Gonzalez's return will make to the Atlanta Falcons, as well as the addition of running back Stephen Jackson.

The news came of Tony Gonzo returning for his 17 season is great for the Falcons because of his leadership abilities and of course, his on field play. Gonzalez is second all time in receptions (1242) to the great Jerry Rice, and is arguably the best tight end to ever play football. With the Falcons only 10 yards short of the Super Bowl last year, Gonzalez felt as if he has a better chance to make a trip to the Super Bowl better than ever this season, because the the Falcons got the monkey off their backs and finally won a playoff game last season. His leadership is unparalleled in that he still has the ability to play like a 25 year old receiver at the age of 37 and will be able to make players like Julio Jones better. This is definitely going to be Tony's last season, and the Falcons better make it count for him. And I honestly believe that that the chances of the Falcons winning the Super Bowl are incredibly good because of the addition of Stephen Jackson at running back.

The Falcons cut veteran running back, Micheal Turner a few weeks ago to make room for a younger, more dynamic back and they got exactly what they wanted when they signed Stephen Jackson to a 3-year/ $12 million dollar deal. The 29 year old veteran is the only current running back in the NFL to rush for over 10,000 yards in his career. While he will be the main running back for the Falcons for a few years, he will also help backup running back, Jaquizz Rodgers to grow to become an elite back in the future. Jackson is toward the tail end of an elite career, and opted out of his contract with the St. Louis Rams to test the free agent market, and the Falcons had been tied to his name from the start of the rumors of Jackson possibly testing out the free agent market. Stephen Jackson, like Tony Gonzalez came to Atlanta because the Falcons have a legitimate chance of winning the Super Bowl. Now, it is in the hands of quarterback Matt Ryan to lead this dynamic offense through the regular season and post season.

The Falcons shouldn't be done in the free agency market. They still need to get a solid defensive end and a corner back. Adding a DE like Dwight Freeney or Osi Umenyiora should replace the hole of John Abraham's absence  Picking a corner back will be a hard decision for the Falcons. Choosing a veteran like Terrence Newman or Nnamdi Asomugha will make the Falcons one of the most complete teams in all of football.

Questions or Comments?
Tweet me: @NeilShelat6
Email me: nshelat6@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment